10 tips for better sleep
A restful nights sleep is so important. It keeps your immune system strong, appetite under control and so much more. Did you know that missing out on just one nights sleep can alter your appearance? And, not for the better.
We know we need sleep, but sometimes falling asleep can be elusive, especially when we need it most. Here are 10 tips for better sleep.
1. Use electronics such as your phone and computer before the sun sets. Am I perfect with this? Of course not. But I try to get as much done early in the day as possible so I can spend less time looking at a screen when it's close to bedtime. Looking at the screen and bright light signals your body to stay awake.
2. Take a hot bath right before bed. As your body works to cool itself down this will help you drift off to sleep. Also, is there a better feeling than getting into bed right after a bath? Of course not, you'll feel so much better with the grime from the day washed off.
3. Sleep with white noise. I live right in the city so there are lots of sounds. I have an IQ air filter in my room and I turn it on high enough that it becomes my white noise AND cleans the air at the same time.
4. Avoid caffeine late in the day. I stop drinking coffee 12 hours before bedtime. Coffee has a much longer half life than most people realize. Yes, it's a delicious ritual, but so is sleeping.
5. Exercise. Although this is important for so many reasons, it will also help with a good nights rest. Just avoid working out within 3 hours of going to bed, that could actually have the opposite effect.
6. Keep your room cool. At a bare minimum, a temperature of 70 degrees is necessary for me to sleep comfortably. 68 degrees is even better. If the room is too warm, you may have trouble drifting off.
7. Comfortable sheets make a difference. I have the very softest, white cotton sheets, and a delicate silk pillowcase. My bed is so most wonderful, inviting place and some mornings it makes me not want to get out of bed.
8. Stay on a regular sleep schedule. Try to go to bed, and wake up at the same time every day (even on weekends). That way, your body will know when it's time to go to bed.
9. Avoid large meals before bed. Finish eating at least 3 hours before bed. A light snack is fine, but you won't sleep well if you fall into bed after a huge restaurant meal.
10. Drinking and restful sleep do not go hand in hand. You may drift off quickly, but chances are you won't stay asleep. If you must drink, try to finish 3 hours before bedtime, and only have one drink.
I hope these tips help you to have a restful nights sleep. If all else fails, never try to fall asleep. Instead tell yourself to stay awake, you'll be asleep before you know it!
Stay healthy and beautiful,